January 4, 2010

2010: A Weight Loss Odyssey

or..."New Year, New Me."

So, I know I haven't posted since "Days 3 and 4," but it's definitely NOT because I've "fallen off the wagon" or have been struggling through the holidays. Today, my first day back at work, is honestly the first time since I left for holiday vacation that I have sat down at a computer for an extended amount of time. Any Facebook and Twitter updates have been from the ol' BlackBerry, and I have to say...I've enjoyed my time away from the blinding screen.

However, here we are, back to the daily grind and onto 2010, which I am dubbing the Year After the Reckoning.

Over the holidays, I shared with several family members and close friends my goals to start a healthier lifestyle immediately. First I was going to cut down to 1500 calories or less every day. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone asked me "Dude! Why not just wait until January 1st and enjoy yourself during the holidays?!" Because! I don't want to stuff my face when I'm already unhappy and then have MORE weight to lose come 01/01/10! I am so thankful to those who did NOT give me that crappy sentiment and instead applauded me for taking one of the toughest times of the year to start my weight loss goals and begin my journey toward a healthier ME.

Traveling was the hardest part. Not everyone cooked or prepared a menu that made sticking to my diet easy. We sometimes were in an aiport where my choices were limited. However that's the key word: choices. Every day, I made choices. I chose to only have a little of the raw seafood spread that was an appetizer at my Italian in-laws' Christmas Eve feast, because I knew dinner would follow. I chose not to have cocktails all evening, opting instead for one small glass of red wine for toasting at dinner. I chose not to have Death By Chocolate dessert.

However, I also chose to enjoy a 3-course meal at a French Bistro on Long Island, where we were given a gift card as a Christmas gift. I chose to have a piece of pizza at Ray's Pizza on 53rd in New York City. I chose to drink (too much....oye) on New Year's Eve.

So, even though I felt great and I knew I was making, overall, very good choices, I was ridiculously nervous to step on that scale when we got back from New York. I prayed all the way down the hall, "Please PLEASE God let me have not gained any weight...even if it's EXACTLY the same that's fine!"

I stepped on the scale.......

and I had lost five pounds!

YES! You read that correctly! During the MOST difficult time of the year, I lost FIVE pounds. In 8 days. Which is a lot of weight to lose in a week, I know, but you have to understand that I have changed my diet pretty drastically. A LOT of that was probably water weight and just my body going, "What the...???" I know it won't be that obvious or drastic every week, but DAMN! What a motivator!

I couldn't have been happier. I practically danced down the hall to my husband to share the news. I KNOW I can do this.

Now, I know it won't always be easy, especially the more I lose. I'll probably try to make excuses for myself since I'm losing weight. I'll get lazy. I'll have days when I would kill my own mother for a plate of cheese fries with bacon and ranch dressing....oh man just TYPING that out made me want some.

But it will not override the joy I felt when I saw the results on my scale. :)

So, I AM making changes as of the new year. Today was the first day back to a normal(ish) routine for me, so I've got to add some exercise in. I think that when I get home I'm going to change clothes, stretch, and take the pup for a LONG, brisk walk around the neighborhood. God knows we BOTH can use the exercise.

Next weigh in is on Wednesday morning. Thank you ALL for your comments and support!

Let's go, 2010!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 5 pounds!! I know you can do it! Keep up the good work, I'm so excited to hear about your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Mandy! Losing five lbs during the holidays, and especially while traveling, is awesome!!! You should be very proud of that accomplishment. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovin' this post title...its perfect! i decided the other day that my blog is not only going to be about Bridget but also about my eating/exercising manifesto, too. you're doing great! very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, this is a great thing you're doing. Actually, I had very much success a few years ago, starting before Xmas. So go you!

    ReplyDelete