January 19, 2010

Ups and Downs

I apologize for the length of time between posts...it's all a result of being busy and, in the case of this past week, SICK.

So what's been going on since my last post, where I ever-so-jubilantly posted about my 5 lbs of weight loss? I'm glad you asked!

On January 4th, I started the challenge set upon me by my awesome friend and AMAZING inspiration and accountability partner, Kelsey, which was to do something that made me sweat for 30 minutes a day...for 14 days straight. I know, right? Tough, especially when rehearsals for my latest project were about to get underway. But, I knew I could do it.

I managed to go 10 DAYS IN A ROW, and I was getting really into the groove...actually looking forward to working out if you can believe it. I wasn't even doing the same thing every day....just trying out new things and seeing what I liked the best (including Jazzercise, Yoga, running/walking either on the treadmill or outside with my pup, etc). I was really starting to feel strong and even made it to a point where I could run for 15 minutes on the treadmill without stopping...I know, big deal. But for me it is.

Then last Wednesday, I got sick. I woke up feeling like total ass, so I stayed home from work. I felt really frustrated that I couldn't finish my 14 days in a row, but I seriously barely had the energy to even get out of bed. Thursday I felt just as crappy, so I called and made an appointment to go see my physician on Friday morning.

Friday morning, I decided to weigh in. I hadn't been on my scale in a while, so I wanted to see how I was doing. I stepped on my $7 analog scale from Target.....and was completely and utterly dismayed to see a 3 lb weight GAIN. So, not only was I feeling sick, I was now feeling completely bummed out and discouraged. My friends (via Facebook and text messages) talked me off the ledge as I was sitting in the waiting room of the clinic, but I was still really down.

Then I got on the scale at the doctor's office...and I had LOST 3lbs from my last weigh in....bringing my total weight loss down to 8.2 pounds! You guys, that's almost 10 lbs! I decided that the doctor's office fancy digital scale was probably a BIT more accurate than my cheap piece-of-crap analog scale, and my day got exponentially better (obviously), despite the nasty upper respiratory infection that led me to being at the doctor's office in the first place!

So I left the clinic with a prescription and a MUCH better outlook on the weight-loss front. I still haven't worked out since Day 10 of my Challenge, due to my significantly decreased lung capacity, but I'm still making good eating choices, and my work pants and jeans are getting baggy to the point of ridiculousness.

Speaking of choices...it feels REALLY good to be in control of what I'm eating. I honestly don't even crave the nasty (but delicious), bad for me foods anymore. I feel healthier and my body is so obviously on my side in all this. It likes getting healthier foods and more water, I can tell! But, I went out to eat twice with my husband this weekend, and both times it was a conscious choice, and not just an instance of weakness. But I will tell you.....when we went to that Chinese food buffet on Saturday night, NOTHING HAS EVER TASTED SO RICH AND DELICIOUS as that food did! ;)

Also...my pants, which I'll admit are a size 16 at the moment (blearghhhhh....I hate admitting that, but it helps in letting others know for accountability's sake how far I have to go), are getting baggy to the point of being indecent. I can seriously pull them off and on without unbuttoning OR unzipping them. Woo hoo!!!

I went shopping yesterday for a special occasion dress for the show I'm doing, and we all know how fun THAT can be when we're not thrilled with our bodies....but I am happy to say that I found a BEAUTIFUL dress at Dillard's and I zipped myself easily into a size 14. That's not a SMALL size, I know, but it just felt good to NOT struggle zipping up a dress and squeeze myself into it. That dress will be too big in the bodice area MUCH sooner than later, and it's just so beautiful that I'll gladly pay to have it altered once it is.

So, even though I've been knocked on my ass by this plague I've had, I'm still plugging along, eating well, and taking care of my body as best I can.

Have I mentioned how I could NOT do this without the amazing support of my friends? Kelsey and Lynn and Rachel are my DAILY encouragement, and all of my friends and family on Facebook and Twitter that "like" my posts and comment on them and of course all of you who read this and leave such supportive comments....wow. I mean I really could not do it without you. So, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

4 comments:

  1. you have inspired me to not be discouraged in my time of injury. I <3 you and I'm happy to be a part of your journey.

    So proud. xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! Congrats! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying reading about your journey. It gives me some inspiration to count calories after I have the baby! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I'm so proud of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete