November 29, 2011

Be Kind

Hey, remember back in July (when I was a blog-posting FOOL, yo) when I wrote this guest post over on Laura's blog?

Since that post, the Denton Women's Collective has been VERY busy with lots of activities, including but not limited to being featured on the Operation Beautiful web site:


...having a clothing swap (with all not-taken clothes being donated to a women's shelter), educating ourselves (well...themselves, since I've not been to a meeting in 2 months because of the show) by watching other documentaries, and sponsoring a sweet, beautiful little girl in India.

Wow.  I just got goosebumps thinking about all of that, so let me just take a little side path here to say something...

I've found in recent months that I am at my best when I focus on one thing (outside of my family and my job, of course) at a time.  When I was involved with Café des Artistes, it pretty much consumed me.  With the very nature of what that show was about, I think that's okay...and even necessary.  But if you're used to a lifetime of never being able to say "no" and loading your proverbial plate so full that you can't carry it anymore, it's hard not to feel guilty about not being able to handle many different activities/commitments.

The last few days, I've felt so much contentment and relaxation.  The show ended (very successfully), I had a wonderful holiday and 4-day weekend with my friends, family and, most importantly, my hubby and puppy, and I feel like I'm ready to pick back up on a few things, such as working out (no REALLY) and the DWC activities.  Luckily, this group is run by some INCREDIBLE, dedicated females who have kept all the juggling balls in the air and have been patient and loving with my inability to handle the stress of participating.  To them, I say a heartfelt "thank you."

So, what better way to get back into the swing of things than with a public screening of the documentary Finding Kind! I can't WAIT to participate with these girls during the screening(s) and I am praying that the girls, their mothers, and the administrators will view this with open hearts and minds and make active changes in their schools and communities to stop girl-on-girl crime. 

Here are the details:

When:
Wednesday, November 30th at 6:30pm
OR
Thursday, December 1st at 4:30pm

Where:
Flower Mound High School
3411 Peters Colony Road
Flower Mound, TX 75022


I can't wait to see what comes from this, and I'm so thankful and grateful to know such amazing young women who care so much about these issues...enough to organize and collaborate with FMHS and the PTA to make this happen.

We may not all be smart...we may not all be beautiful...we may not all be talented...but we CAN all be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment