October 24, 2011

We Have a Show



We have a show, y'all.

When I got the email this morning from our director, Tashina, I got this feeling...nervous, excited, anxious...just kind of an overall buzzed/hyper feeling.  Also a little emotional.

I mean....we created something.  Yes, most of the text is not written by us (we used the notebooks of Richard Foreman and Charles Mee...and I don't feel like linking those pages, so go Google it if you're interested), but the structure and the order and the intent?  All done by us.  As a group.

I'm pretty impressed by us, actually.

I've never done anything like this before, and even though we're just now to a point where we're going to be blocking and choreographing and such, I already have that "I don't want it to end" feeling.  This is pretty normal for me.  The anticipation of building a show and getting it ready for an audience is so important to me as an artist that I can't help but think about how bummed I'm gonna be when it's over.  I have to actively stop myself and focus on the NOW and remind myself to enjoy all of this part, too, instead of already being sad that it will be over in a month.

I'm so proud of all of us. 

We were warned that it would be difficult and frustrating at times, but those moments have been so insignificant in the grand scheme of things (so far!).  This group listens to each other and supports each others' ideas and contributes to the process without being overbearing or selfish. I'm glad to know I'll look back on this with a great sense of accomplishment and pride.  Of that, I am already 100% sure.

"You know, that's how it is to deal with art
because art is made in the freedom of the imagination
with no rules."

November 10-12th and 17th-20th.  Be there.

(this post is cross-posted on the Sundown Collaborative Theatre Tumblr page)

1 comment: