November 13, 2008

Home.


That sweet little house up there was home to my Nana and Papa for 46 years. It was purchased new, as a surprise to my Nana.

Three times, they almost lost it because they couldn't afford the monthly payment of $69.50.

It was paid off with a final check of $1200, which only left them $15 in the bank. My Papa's comment when writing the check was, "I've had $15 in the bank before. But I've never owned a house until now."

My dad and my aunt grew up there.

My brothers and cousins and I used to stay there and play with the same ancient toys (kewpie dolls were in the mix, i believe) whenever our parents needed a night out alone.

My aunt got married in the backyard.

My Nana was a constant fixture in her blue recliner, covered with her Dallas Cowboys fleece blanket for as long as I can remember.

My Papa cared for my Nana in that house during the long 15 years that she was sick, until she finally passed away in December of 2007.

My dad and my aunt took care of my Papa in that house for the next 11 months, until he passed away last week.

Many Christmases, birthdays, anniversaries, and various celebrations have taken place in that house. There has been laughter and there have been tears.

And because of a blessing far greater than I am still able to comprehend even a week later...my husband and I will continue to make memories in that house.

My father and my aunt, the executors of my Papa's estate, have offered the house to us for a minimal payment each month to cover taxes, insurance, and general upkeep and maintenance.

We will build our first home in this house. We may even have our first child.

I'm truly touched, blessed, and honored that we have been given such a gift -- to continue the legacy of this house, this home.

God never ceases to amaze me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Just beautiful. I am so happy for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just SO amazing and such a meaningful gift! I am so happy for the two of you and know that many more beautiful memories will be made in your new HOME. :)

    ReplyDelete