November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving



(There's a story about these peaches!)
I had every intention of blogging before Thanksgiving, but in preparations for the Big Day, blogging fell by the wayside. We stayed with the mother-in-law all weekend, too, and her internet connection and I aren't friends, so here it is Sunday already. Funny how quickly those 4-day weekends go by.
So as you can see by the few pictures I've decided to post (there were only 157 after all), The First Annual All-Family Thanksgiving was a success.
I don't think I ever mentioned it on this blog, but this was a first for us this year. We kids decided that hopping from house to house to house and eating several meals in one day was NOT fun anymore. Since everyone seemed to get along so well (even the divorcees) at all the weddings there have been in the past year or so, we came up with the idea of just having everyone in one place. We figured it would either be the best idea or the worst idea ever conceived.
Luckily, it was great.
We had a huge turnout (around 50 people), and everyone brought something yummy to nosh on, so there was an ungodly amount of food. Everyone was pleasant and there was little to no drama (that I was aware of anyway, but I was holed up in the kitchen for the most part).
So the peaches...
Every year since the dawn of when I can remember, my Papa would always make those peaches and bring them to every family function. They're simply peach halves filled with a cream cheese and pecan mixture, and topped with whole pecans. I was always (and still am) allergic to pecans, so there were always a few with just the cream cheese in them for me. Funny thing is, I think they're incredibly gross actually!
So, even though Papa and Nana were both gone this year, we just had to have the peaches. It wouldn't feel like a holiday without them.
All in all, a year of many things to be thankful for:
  • Operaboy and I are married. Finally.
  • We have a house that we are slowly but surely turning into a home.
  • We have a steady income.
  • We have our health.
  • Our family members who are ill are still battling courageously.
  • We live in a country where we are free.
  • We are loved by a caring and compassionate and living God.
  • We have food in our bellies and a roof over our head.
  • We have a reliable means of transportation.

That list could honestly go on and on. I am so thankful and so blessed to be where we are.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well, filled with many blessings.

Here's to the start of the 2008 Holiday Season!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those pics are awesome! I can't even imagine a 50 person thanksgiving. Who did all the dishes?? lol! Sounds like you guys had a lovely time! You deserved it!

    Also, love the peach story!

    ReplyDelete