December 9, 2011

#reverbbroads11 Day 9 -- Wombat Stew

Today's prompt comes from Niki from http://nikirudolph.com/, and the prompt is:

What is your favorite children's book?

Well, this is the easiest one yet!

Source
 My VERY FAVORITE book as a kid was Wombat Stew by Marcia K. Vaughan.  I used to go over to my friend Whitney's house to sleepover and her mother was this total hippie who would let us sleep on the screened in back porch, and we'd have nachos (you know, tortilla chips with grated cheese on top and stuck in the oven for a few minutes) and ice cream soup (ice cream stirred and stirred til it was soupy and with sprinkles on top) and read Wombat Stew

I didn't see this book again for years.  Then, in 2001 I was dating a guy named Kevin that I'd met online (yeah yeah, I was on a matchmaking site for a while) and it was going really well.  I mentioned on our first date, during the "getting to know you" part of the evening, that this had been my favorite children's book.  A few weeks later he showed up unannounced at my house to take me on a surprise date, and when I got in the car, this book was on my seat with a flower and a card.  He'd searched HIGH AND LOW for this book, because it's pretty elusive now, apparently. 

Things didn't work out with Kevin, but we remained friends and eventually lost touch with each other...but this remains one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever been given.  I am very grateful to him for finding this book for me, and I look forward to reading it to my niece and eventually to my own child some day. 

***

I’m taking part in a blogging group called Reverb Broads that will be suggesting daily blogging prompts this December. If you want to join in, feel free! Go here or here to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment