November 15, 2013

Before I Die

One of the many, many reasons I love my little city so much is because there is art and creativity all around me.  I work at a university known for it's music program and its diversity, and I see elements and evidence of that every day I come to work. 

Today, as I went out in search of lunch, I noticed two giant boards with chalk writing on them.  Naturally, I went over to take a look.


I spoke to the young man, Robert Trusko, who organized having the boards on campus, and he told me that he's currently working on what seems to be a beautiful, multimedia performance that will integrate the words written on these boards as lyrics set to music.  He was inspired by the original installation by Candy Chang (read about how it all began here).

Having done some very similar artistic endeavors before involving performance and visual art, naturally I was intrigued and impressed by his vision....and also his kindness and enthusiasm when answering questions about the project.

After having Z and suffering from postpartum anxiety that included my own fear of death and leaving this Earth too soon, I felt so drawn to the words written on these boards.  Some made me laugh ("be a NINJA!") and others brought tears to my eyes ("learn to love myself"). 

I don't want to go on and on and wax philosophical about this, but I'd love to encourage you to think about what you would have written in the blank.  Feel free to share.  And, if you happen to be around on the evening of the 23rd, check out the performance. 

Here is the Kickstarter page.

Here is some information about the event.

And here is one of the MANY thoughts I could have written on the board:

"teach my son to love Jesus and all people & to be KIND"

Good luck, Robert! I love this idea so much.

#BeforeIDieDenton

No comments:

Post a Comment