May 26, 2011

A Prayer for Parents

Today, I am thinking about my friends (the kind I have "in real life" and the kind I only know through Blogs and Twitter and such) who are parents, and I wanted to give them a shout-out.

Every day I get two devotional emails, one from Join the Journey and one from Girlfriends in God. Yesterday, I got the following from GiG, and it made me think about all my amazing friends who are either currently raising children or about to start that journey.  Allow me to share some of it (though, while it continues to refer to the Mom only, I think it applies to both parents!):

One mother with three active boys was playing cops and robbers in the back yard after dinner on a summer evening. One of the boys "shot" his mother and yelled, "Bang, bang you're dead." She slumped to the ground and when she didn't get up right away, a neighbor ran over to see if she had been hurt in the fall. As the neighbor bent over, the overworked mother opened one eye and said, "Shhh. Don't give me away. It's the only chance I get to rest."

Busy moms all need a break from time to time. Mothers need time to recharge, refuel, and refresh.

Even Jesus encouraged his disciples: "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest" (Mark 6:31 NIV). He knew that we all need time to recharge, reflect, and refresh.

So mom, take a break today. Spend time with God and ask Him to fill your empty cup!

Pray:

Dear God, You know that parenting is a hard job. Thank you for allowing me the honor and privilege of being a mom. Thank You that I don't have to parent alone. You are right there with me all the time. I pray that You will refresh my soul today.

And if you are not a mom, then here's a prayer for you.

Dear God, I pray for my friend _________ today as she parents her child. Give her strength, courage and wisdom as she makes tough decisions. Fill her as she pours out for those kids. Show me how I can be a support and encouragement for her today.
To all my friends who are parents and parents-to-be: I think you are awesome, and I challenge myself to pray this prayer for you every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment