November 2, 2012

No Shame November -- Music

Today's No Shame November topic (for me; remember, I'm taking them in any order I please) is going to be music. Because I like the challenge of keeping this short and palatable. 

I talk about music a lot on my blog and, over on the Book of Faces, I tend to post a "Song of the Day" every day, just whatever I've been listening to or something that is amusing (I typed "amusicing" first...) or entertaining me at that particular moment in time, so I really am not going to go into a lot of detail here about my love affair with music or when/how it started or anything.

Suffice it to say, music is very important to me. And how it makes me feel can very from day to day or even hour to hour.  I love the very idea of it being created by a passionate artist (at least in most cases...don't get me started on a lot of the teenybopper shit that's popular these days) who is able to express himself or herself in such a way. 

Music is also a key factor in my memories. For some people it's smells/scents, or even clothing, that stand out in their clearest and strongest memories but, for me, it's music.  What music was I listening to at that time in my life?  What was happening to me at that very moment the song was playing? 

This is awesome, because a flood of senses and imagery can fill my body when I hear particular chords or choruses...but it can also be quite painful.  There are songs and entire albums that I can't listen to ever again because they bring back painful reminders of past relationships, my own awful behavior in situations, or just plain old remind me of someone who is no longer living. 

So now here comes the list portion of the blog.  I like lists.  Multiple lists.  Here we go, in no particular order(s):

Songs I can't get enough of right now
1. "Our Love" - Seryn (This is Where We Are)
2. "Below My Feet" - Mumford and Sons (Babel)
3. "The Story" - Brandi Carlile (The Story)
4. "Iscariot" - Walk the Moon (Walk the Moon)
5. "I Was Broken" - Marcus Foster (Nameless Path)
6. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (The Lumineers)
7. "Demons" - Imagine Dragons (Night Visions)
8. "Cutty Love" - Milo Greene (Milo Greene)
9. "Ivory Black" - Seryn (no new album yet)
10. "Some Nights" - Fun. (Some Nights)

Albums I (still) have in constant rotation
1. Barton Hollow - The Civil Wars
2. This is Where We Are - Seryn
3. Babel - Mumford and Sons
4. The Lumineers - The Lumineers
5. Albatross - Big Wreck
6. Give up the Ghost - Brandi Carlile
7. Once - Original Broadway Cast Recording
8. Night Visions - Imagine Dragons
9. Hope and Ruin - The Trews
10. 21 - Adele

Songs I can't help but chair-dance to (aka, "Here's where you judge me")
1. "Every Time we Touch" - Cascada
2. "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen
3. "It's Oh So Quiet" - Björk
4. "Everybody Talks" - Neon Trees
5. "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - Queen
6. "Say Hey (I Love You)" - Michael Franti & Spearhead
7. "I Just Called to Say I Love You" - Stevie Wonder
8. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
9. "North Side Gal" - J.D. McPherson
10. "Shake it Out" - Florence + the Machine

I'm tired of making lists now.  But that's a lot of music. I wanted to save this post for later (and you'll see why....later) to talk about why Seryn means a lot to me personally right now in my life, but I'll try to find a way to work it back in...later.  I said "later" a lot there.  NO SHAME.

NO SHAME NOVEMBER!!



No comments:

Post a Comment