November 16, 2012

No Shame November -- Sports

I love sports. You'd think I'd talk about them more, since my blog's title is "Music and Baseball."  But, see, when you're setting up a new blog and you are pressured into coming up with a name for it, it's REALLY OVERWHELMING and I was living in Boston at the time and we watched a LOT MORE baseball then because the Red Sox are like a RELIGION and...and...

The point is, I love sports.

I didn't get to watch as much baseball as I usually like to this past summer because I was super busy with musicals AND because the Red Sox completely sucked this past season (and the one before) and it was just a major bummer to watch. 

My teams that I care the most about are the Boston Red Sox and the Philadelphia Eagles. Before you ask, NO I'm not from either of those places. I was born in the same city I live in now, in north Texas.  And it really really pisses me off when people around here (ahem, my family) get all pissy that I don't pick Dallas teams as my favorites.

HERE'S THE THING.  I have two brothers and an uncle who are obsessed with football. (My father could care less, and he gets really visibly irritated when the "sit around and visit" family time at the holidays is interrupted for a football game someone has to see.) It's not that they refused to teach me about the game...I didn't beg and beg only to be met with NO TIME TO EXPLAIN, PUNY FEMALE!

I was really very ambivalent about it all.  I just remember laughing when my Uncle Tim would act all crazy when the Cowboys did something great (or stupid) (but mostly great, because it was in the Dynasty Days).  I wore the Super Bowl Champions t-shirts my dad bought us from a kiosk on the side of the road after Da Boys beat Da Bills.  Also I was a cheerleader for the Chiefs and then the Broncos (twice!) in a local peewee league.  We were awesome, too...we won championships (the cheerleaders, not the football players)! Then, I sorta just stopped caring.

Fast forward to 2003, when I started dating my husband.  He is a die. hard. Eagles fan.  His whole family is.  So, as an excuse to spend as much time with him as possible, I'd go with him on Sundays to watch football games. It quickly became clear that I had no idea what was happening, other than "end zone = touchdown."  So he painstakingly explained the game to me and, with every subsequent Sunday we spent together, I slowly found that I was becoming obsessed with the game and, by proxy, his team. I'm SUPER competitive,and football just feeds into that. 

I think it probably goes without saying that my family is SICK over my adoption of the Eagles.  Heh. Suck it, Cowboys. I know that Eagles fans as a whole have a reputation for being violent assholes, but I will say one thing about myself as a fan: I'm honest.  The Eagles are terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiibbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllllleeeeeeee this season and some serious change needs to happen and SOON.  My problem with (most. MOST.) Cowboys fans is that they're delusional.  They'll totally cough up a game and play with their helmets in their asses and fans around here are still like SUPER BOWL BABY, COWBOYS ARE GOIN' ALL THE WAY!! Gross. Shut up. Also Jerry Jones is the antichrist.  Seriously LOOK AT HIS FACE.

My love for the Red Sox is much easier to explain: I fully admit to hopping on the 2004 Bandwagon when they completely overtook the Yankees and won the World Series for the first time in 86 years.  But then we moved to Boston for 3 years and seriously fell in love with the team and the history and all that. However, unlike my football relationships, I do NOT hate the Texas Rangers.  I love 'em, actually, and I root for them...until the Red Sox play them. I was devastated with the rest of the area when the Rangers coughed it up to St. Louis in the 2011 World Series.  

Basketball and other sports...I'll root for Dallas teams. Because I'm not invested in them. So, GO MAVS and GO STARS!

I really meant to talk about this article in this post because Tashina posted it the other day on Twitter and it sent me into a blind rage because of how sports are SO IMPORTANT to people that they apparently trump other things like, oh, alcohol-induced car accidents and ASSAULT AND RAPE.  But I would've just gotten ragey and screamed at you all for a whole post.  So this is probably better.


No comments:

Post a Comment