June 14, 2011

Tuesday Tunes -- Esthero's "Wikked Lil' Grrrls"

I thought I'd give myself yet another incentive to keep the blog active. I've been listening to a lot of new stuff lately thanks to some friends, and I want to pay it forward by sharing with you, my loyal blog readers!


Source

Today's album is Wikked Lil' Grrrls by Esthero (official web site).  My friend, fellow blogger, and source for all things Canadian, Mike, is the one who introduced me to this album. 

One word comes to mind to describe it: sexy. 

I'm not going to try to describe all the musical elements of this album that make it fantastic...because that's just not where my strengths lie.  (Though, if you want to see a perfect example of this, please visit the blog of my friend and former teacher Jeff, aka Dr. Spin.  He can tell you just exactly why an album is awesome, whereas I'm more of the "Well...it just is!" type.)

I can tell you, however, that I love that there are so many jazzy elements to this album.  Brass sections are featured on many of the tracks, and there's a kind of late-70s (think Chicago's greatest hits) vibe to the sound, which is gloriously juxtaposed with modern, poetic lyrics. 

Do not listen to this album on shuffle.  It's structured (as I suppose many are) in a way that requires listening to it in the order in which it was placed on the album.  There are little non-musical vignettes positioned between some of the tracks, which I love...most especially track #2, "Dragonfly's Intro," which is a bit of freestyle poetry I'd love to see performed live.

Did I mention this album is sexy?  Tracks like "Blanket Me In You (Never Is So Soon)" and "If Tha Mood" may just get you feeling squirmy and wanting to grab the nearest hottie for some serious mug-down action.  Lyrics such as "Blanket me in you/Cover me in gold and blue/Reason need not follow you/Blanket me in you/I can still smell you on me..." and "If tha mood should hit ya and ya wanna, baby I don't mind/A little taste may relieve the tension I feel inside"....whew! And those are the tamer ones... ;)
Other tracks, such as "Everyday Is a Holiday (With You)" and the title track, "Wikked Lil' Grrrls" (a treadmill favorite of mine) will get your booty shakin' and make it damn near impossible to sit still in your office chair (I may or may not be speaking from experience here...).

Do yourself a favor and give a listen.  Here's a YouTube clip of this gorgeous, sexy and talented artist performing on Jimmy Kimmel -- Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment